Not that kind of tranny, that is a whole different post. So I had to replace the transmission in the truck. I had never done that before. It seemed like something I could do, but I was on the fence about it. That’s when My friend Rob said, “I’ll help you.” He is a mechanic so I said hell yes to that. In the end it was unbelievably simple. The hardest part is the weight of the transmission and the awkwardness of positioning it. They really should make handles on these things so you can get a kung fu grip on it. It is one heavy S.O.B with no good spots to grab onto. I stuck to Rob’s advice of, “whatever you do, don’t drop it on your hand.” If you make it to the end there is a video of me driving with no floor board and you can see my tranny in action. “My tranny in action,” that sounds funny. I shifted, steered AND took the video all by myself. I never said I was a responsible person.
First, reupholstery is a funny looking word. I had to look it up to make sure I had it right. Second, that is what this post is about.
We have the Mid Century-ish chair that we really like. In fact I think it was the very first piece of furniture we ever bought. Welcome to adulthood, where you actually buy things and your living room set isn’t entirely made up of dumpster dive finds. I think it was all of $50 and we still had to put it on lay-a-way.
The fabric was shot and in true Countryside Lane fashion we decided to do it ourselves. We had a book, what more do you need? Well, besides fabric and other materials. Ends up the book was a P.O.S and didn’t tell us much. We made sure to stay true to the pattern of the original material that we carefully skinned and we winged it where we had to. On top of new fabric we also redid the wood.
Below is out story of our first reuphols…silly word. By they way, we still dumpster dive.
I have some small pieces of salvaged lumber from a porch that was built in the late 1800s—still had the old square nails. They are almost to small for any project I had in mind. However, I didn’t like the idea of delegating them to the firewood pile. After a long career in architecture they deserved better. This little project was simple and gives these old timer’s some new life.
Drill, sand, wax, pop in a couple of votive candles and here is what you get. (The wax is Swilley’s all-natural beeswax.
Oh, this ended up as part of a gift exchange at the office I am currently freelancing at. If you burn down your house Aaron, don’t call me.
We recently ripped the carpet out of one room and just painted the subfloor. Sounds janky, but it looks pretty cool, not to mention easy on the pocket-book. We needed a threshold to visually join the carpeted part with the new, non-carpeted part. I was also being cheap about that and didn’t want to spend money on a long-ass, wood threshold—about 8 feet. After a trip to Ace Hardware where I said, “I’m not paying that”, I went to work on making my own out of some salvaged lumber I bought at an auction.
I have been working on a couple of big ass projects that have kept me from posting. Once they are done there will be posts and photos galore. Until then, nibble on this.
A few items I made out of some old cedar fence planks that were destined for the burn pile. I adopted the stash and have been using the wood to build stuff. Being well aged it gives it a rustic look. Wood, I give ye new life.
This was a last summer project, just now posting about it. The clear coat on the Jetta’s hood was flaking off like a bad case of dandruff. After a price quote from the body shop I decided to take on this hell hood myself. One reason was that for half the cost I could buy an air compressor, HVLP spray gun, auto paint, and do it myself, then have these tools for future projects, nice strategy for getting more tools huh? I knew it wouldn’t be perfect, but it couldn’t look worse, hopefully *gulp*. Lowen was crazy enough to let me try this and in the end it turned out pretty decent. Not perfect mind you, but more than good enough for that Jetta. One thing I took from this? A big hats off to auto body folks. That is hard work and an art form. Getting a baby butt smooth paint job is a skill. BONUS; there is a video in this post, gettin’ all hi-tech on you kids.
I finally replaced the hot rod rims and tires that came with my truck, whose name is Beulah by the way. This is one more step in returning it to a grandpa truck. I found a guy in KC who only works on and restores mid 60s trucks. Perfect, I have a mid 60s truck. He had an old set of rims, tires and original dog dish hubcaps that he sold me for a good price. The good price was because they needed a fair amount of work and are dented up a bit. I had to sand off some rust, primer and paint them. Originally, on the two-tone painted trucks, the rims would have been the same blue as the truck. I just painted them black for now, since they came to me black. I’ll paint them the blue later, when I paint some other body repairs and have the right blue on hand.