This project was a doozy so I am going to break it into a couple of parts. I started it 2 summers ago and I still have a little left to do—finish installing the railing system. No big deal, just don’t send your kids to hang out in my deck quite yet.
One day, long ago, I was poking around under our deck and noticed what looked to be a little wood rot. I thought I had better take care of that before it becomes a lot of wood rot. When I started using a chisel to remove that little spot, it plunged all the way through the board. SO, it was already a lot of wood rot, great. More exploration and removing of paint found a LOT more. It went all the way into the sill plate on the foundation. Somebody had just packed it with wood putty in the visible spots and painted over it — you know, the best kind of repair.
There was so much that I decided to just replace the whole deck. Why not, I have never built a deck and it was about time for me to make Lowen nervous with a massive home project. Step one: tear down the old deck. Demo is always the fun part! The next episodes will be the rebuild and the cable rail system — complete with fabricated bannisters by guerilla engineer Michael Harry.