My coworker had a new fence built and asked if I wanted the wood from the old fence. I took it, as if I don’t already have enough piles of wood laying around. It was all cedar planks and there were a few 6 x 6 cedar posts. I spent a couple of hours taking the wood apart. That sucked, but I jumped right into a project for the 6×6’s—a bench for around the fire pit.
The wood before, and after.
My newest pile o
Disassembled and I started cleaning up the posts.
Sanding, and sanding, and sanding.
Done with the rough sanding. I cut the rotted wood off, then cut the pieces to the lengths I needed.
Then I dry assembled and drilled holes for the lag bolts. That is a long ass drill bit eh?
I used a paddle bit to drill a large countersink hole, it will be filled with a plug later.
Here you can see how the countersink hole works. It allows the bolt to go under the surface and be covered up with a plug. This is a large countersink hole compared to the bolt head, but I wanted it to match the proportion of the beefy looking bench.
I drilled out my own plugs with a hole saw.
Then sanded them a bit to fit, they drilled out a little oversized.
Assembly time. I used the impact wrench to screw in the bolts so I wouldn't have to crank a ratchet over and over, plus they sound cool.
After the plugs were glued in it was more sanding. Here are the 3 sanders used on this.
If you sand when there is a 111° heat index, saw dust sticks to your skin.
All together and finished with Danish oil.